Tuesday, May 12, 2015

THE GUTLESS GOSPEL: Part 1 - Introduction



Something’s always bothered me about Jesus and the Gospel. Well, not the REAL Jesus and not the REAL Gospel. It’s the Jesus and the Gospel you find in the modern church, in the media, in movies and paintings and little statues and songs. It’s the long haired hippy looking metrosexual Jesus wearing a perfectly pressed white robe cuddling a lamb in one arm, flashing a peace sign with his other hand while spouting comforting, politically correct platitudes with just the hint of an aristocratic British accent. It’s a gutless Gospel failing to confront and offering only comfort – an “I’m okay, you’re okay” self-help, self-aggrandizing, selfish Gospel more about me than HIM. It’s Dr. Phil and a comfy couch with a lot of positive affirmation psycho-babble instead of a tough as nails Savior getting nailed on a cross and bleeding out in brutal agony to atone for sins I committed. It’s a “Bobby McFerrin” Jesus skipping along singing “Don’t worry, be happy” instead of a fiery eyed iconoclast shouting, “You snakes! You brood of vipers!” at the religious leaders of his day.

In all of this we have lost a key element of the narrative –

Jesus. Had. GUTS.

He was a man. Not just any man, but the God-man. Fully God. Fully man. Crazy right? He left the pain free, tear free, glorious, magnificent perfection of heaven to step foot into the painful, tear stained, horrific, grimy, fallen world we call home. Why? “No pain, no gain.” He chose to suffer in my place, in your place, for my sin and your sin so that we might gain salvation, mercy, grace, eternal life and one day experience the glory of his home. You know what that takes? GUTS!

Think about it. When he took the journey from heaven to earth he knew his destination was the cross. He knew he would experience the most incredibly sadistic form of execution ever devised by man. It was so devastating and painful that the etymology of the word “excruciating” traces its origins back to the Latin word the Romans coined to describe its overwhelming intensity. He volunteered for it! He manned up and said, “I’ll take the cross. I’ll take the nails. I’ll suffer incredible agony willingly.” And get this, why did he do it? Well that’s the most manly, gutsy, macho reason of all. Because he loves ME. Because he loves YOU. It takes a REAL man to show REAL love.

We get it wrong all the time. We think “real men” don’t go around talking about love and forgiveness and other “sissy” stuff. It takes a real man to look somebody in the eye and say, “I love you.” It takes a real man to fix an unblinking stare on his most vile enemy and say, “I love you. I forgive you.” You know what that is? Guts. It’s a Savior and Messiah and King with guts preaching a Gospel full of guts to a bunch of gutless people blinded to the truth by their own self-righteousness. That’s why the Gutless Gospel offends me so much – it is the absolute antithesis of what Jesus taught and preached.

I want to take a journey with you through the pages of Scripture and look at some of the gutsiest things the Lord Jesus Christ ever did. I want to shred the pages of the Gutless Gospel and burn them until only ashes remain. I want to explore the true Gospel of the gutsy Jesus and find hope, inspiration and courage from its timeless narrative. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment